UK is one of the dream lands of young boys and girls for education. Not only because there is the best are educational system on the planet but there are friendly hosts, fabulous living environment and good job opportunities.It is legal to work in the UK by holding a student VISA. Please check the legal statement below and be aware of the terms and conditions.
Having been granted leave to remain as a student, there is no objection to you to taking part time job or vacation work. However, while you may work full-time during vacation periods, you must not work more than 20 hours per week during term-time, expect where the placement meets the definition of a sandwich course or an internship. As a student, you must not engage in business, self-employment or the provision of services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer; and you must not pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.
There are different part time job opportunities available for students to choose. They have been organized into the categories and illustrated in the Fig A:
From Fig A, we can see there are plenty of chances in the universities and Chinese or anti-Chinese business.
As well there are different job seeking mechanism generally. See the Fig B for more information:
It seems that the job seeking mechanism is not as much as available jobs. Basically, “Ask help from A friend” and “Go to the job centre” will be the two efficient ways to get a job successfully. Although the accurately number has not been calculated based on certain surveys readers can still see how many ways to get a part time job.
The relationship between the job seeking mechanism and Work categories is illustrated in the Fig C:
From the three diagrams we can clearly see the points below:
• University jobs will be applied only in its own framework
• If you want to work in a restaurant or as a cleaner “Ask for help from a friend” would be a good choice.
• For the Anti-Chinese job opportunities go for the job centre or newspapers for more information.
• Sometimes, students can directly visit the shops, restaurants and ask if they need staffs to do part time jobs.
Generally the process of getting a job will be:
- Look for job vacancies information
- Contact the job opportunities publisher or employer
- Try to get an interview
- Sign a contract
- Get pay and your payslip every week or month
OK, last thing, payment. Different job has different value, so the employer will pay differently. The experience told us that Chinese teacher and working in university normally would get more money than any other business. Chinese restaurant would always be the last place to work because the pay is a piece of shit.
Cleaner is probably a good job for lots of new comes. You do not have to speak English frequently and the money is not bad compared with the jobs in restaurant. Key job has its advantages because you do not have to work in a solid hours. However it is not easy to get one.
• Working experience is important. If you do not have some, at least pretend you do.
• Chinese students, always join a working environment without Chinese people around, otherwise your English would never been improved rapidly.
• As fast as possible call your interested employer when you get information from Friday AD, other newspapers or job centre.
Friday AD: http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/
Job centre: http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/index.html
||It is a special course in colleges and universities of the UK. Student who takes this course might have to take one year off to work in industry before graduation.
||A student or a recent graduate undergoing supervised practical training.
||Employer offer the employee the key of the office, employee can work anytime he wants except working hours.